Marine Environmental Sciences (M.Sc.)
Facts and Figures
- Degree Award: Master of Science
- Duration: 2 years (4 semesters)
- Course start: annual (winter semester;
summer semester in exceptional cases)
- Language: German
The Master programme Marine Environmental Sciences is
- focuses on an enhanced understanding of biological, physical and chemical processes
- provides a broad practical and methodological training within the institute’s research groups.
- provides projects of appropriate scope to conduct independent scientific research already at an early stage
- Basic knowledge of mathematical and scientific disciplines
- Interest in marine contents
- Interest in interdisciplinary research projects
- Interest in dealing with complex contexts
- Communication skills
- Willingness to work in a team
- German and English language skills
Careers and Areas of Employment
The qualifications acquired during the study course Marine Environmental Science are well suited for careers in environmental and scientific fields. In particular, graduates of this programme are sought where there is a need for interdisciplinary approaches to solving environmental and scientific problems, such as in connection with climate change.
Depending on specialisation, graduates can pursue various careers. For example, graduates specialised in biology/ecology work in offices focussing on environmental planning and monitoring. Graduates, specialised on geochemistry/environmental analysis, are qualified for managing laboratories or developing applications for manufacturers of analytical instruments. Graduates specialised in physics/modelling are sought after for developing environmental information systems and managing environmental data.
Marine environmental scientists often move on to doctoral studies, but also find their way into careers in planning offices, in management of medium-sized companies, in policy advice, or in environmental education. Many self-employed graduates work in the field of environmental planning, environmental monitoring, or environmental education.